The Catalina Golf Course is an nine hole course with two sets of tees that allow for 18 hole play. The golf course is the oldest operating golf course west of the Mississipi and traces its history back to 1892 when built by the Banning Brothers (early developers of Catalina Island.) The golf course is 2100 yards and has an onsight pro shop. The course featurs five par 4 holes and 4 par 3 holes. The golf course provides rental clubs.
Since 1967 the golf course at Catalina Island is known for its annual junior tournament (called the Catalina Island Junior Golf Tourmanment) in which young aspiring golf professionals from all over come to compete. Infact Tiger Woods first played on Catalina Island at the age of 4 and competed in the tournament at the age of 14.
The golf course is lcoated on Avalon Canyon Road just outside of Avalon on the way to the Wrigley Botanical Garden. It is an easy walk to the golf course from Avalon and all the hotels on the island. Hard spikes are not allowed and interaction with local wildlife is possible as deer and hawks have been known to frequent the area.